Banana bread is one of my all time favourite things to bake and with my super sweet tooth I often tend to bake sweet banana bread adding choc chips, blueberries etc. So how about a sweet & savoury bake this time around?!
I came up with the idea of making a coconut and cumin flavoured banana bread after trying out Bounce‘s delicious new vegan range of energy balls. I would never have thought of putting these two distinct flavours together but they create the perfect balance between sweet and savoury (this is coming from someone who buys sweet and salty popcorn at the cinema!).
A slice of this loaf makes for the perfect afternoon pick-me-up or even just a quick breakfast on the go. It is deliciously moist and fluffy and the cumin really gives it an unusual twist!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe mashed bananas (the riper the better!)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Whisk together in a bowl the melted coconut oil, honey, eggs, bananas and almond milk.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cumin, salt and spelt flour to the bowl, gently folding the ingredients together.
- Tip half of the shredded coconut flakes into the bowl and gently fold into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into a non-stick loaf tin (use loaf parchment if you like but I don’t get on with it!).
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded coconut flakes over the top of the loaf batter.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 45-50 minutes (check to see if a knife comes out clean). Tip – if the top is starting to brown but the loaf isn’t yet baked through, cover it with tin foil.
- Leave the loaf in the pan for up to 15 minutes after taking it out of the oven before taking it out to cool.
- Slice and enjoy! I keep the loaf in the fridge and try to consume within 5 days (which isn’t hard if you have my lack of will power!).